Lowry Neighborhood is located at the site of the former Lowry Air Force Base. Lowry has been transformed into a model New Urbanist community of diverse and traditional neighborhoods each offering a discrete flare. Residences include single family homes, patio homes, luxury homes, townhomes, condo, apartments and a retirement community. The old Lowry Firehouse has been converted into Colorado Free University.
Lowry has nearly 800 acres of parks, recreational area, thirty-five percent of which are devoted to native plants and grasses. Lowry has carefully preserved the best aspects of a traditional, city neighborhood, while creating a new urban environment. It has amazing public spaces with trails, green space, boulevards and parkways with small shops and centers, state of the art educational facilities and more.
Lawrence Phipps’s lavish facility for the treatment of tuberculosis, established in the early 1900s, came to be considered one of the best medical centers in the nation, before newer, more modern facilities forced its closure in 1932.
Lowry closed in 1988 after being known as the place to be for key training and educational facility through the Cold War years. Its legacy as a center for learning, culture and healthful outdoor living continues to this day.
Lowry is considered a model community for urban-infill projects across the country.